4. Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

• Will I be reimbursed if I participate?
    • Yes, participants will be reimbursed for them their time. In Phase 1 (Screening), students will receive a token of $10 value, pending school approval. In Phase 2 (Interviews), all students and parents will be reimbursed at a $10 per hour basis in vouchers, with a cap at $50 per family.
  • What will it cost me?
    • We will require around 1-1.5 hours of your time to complete a questionnaire in Stage 1. If you are selected for the interviews in Stage 2, we will require another 1-2 hours of your time.
  • What if I change my mind after the start of the study?
    • You are free to withdraw from the study at any point in time. No penalty will be incurred. 
  • How do I withdraw from the study?
    • In the event that you no longer wish to participate in the study, you may fill in the withdrawal form in paper copy provided during screening or interview phase by the study team and return it to a study team member, or print out the withdrawal form from the study webpage and email it to the YEAR Study email address.
  • What happens to my data after I withdraw from the study?
    • Upon withdrawal, personal data and coded research data given only until that point will be discarded by the study team but we would like to keep anonymized demographic information of participants that withdraw midway so that we are able to assess the validity of the sample distribution and psychometric properties of our instruments.
  • Will I be told the results of the study?
    • We hope to be able to publish our overall findings from the YEAR study in 2021. Individual results or findings will not be disclosed to participants as data is kept anonymous and confidential after collection.
  • Will the data I give be identifiable?
    • To protect your confidentiality, all personal data (e.g. name, contact information) will be de-identified and kept separate from the collected data. The data will be kept confidential and stored by the National University of Singapore study team. All electronic data will be password protected. All physical data stored under lock and key in a safe cabinet. Only permanent members of the research team have access to the study data.
  • Will the information obtained from the screening be used without my knowledge and consent?
    • All questionnaire/interview data is stored under a unique participant ID number, and is kept separately from personal data (including participant name etc.). The team will only contact you regarding your data should concerns surface. Referrals to external (i.e. not under the school) institutions or help will not be made without your consent.
  • Are there foreseeable risks while I am a research participant?
    • Questionnaires are considered minimal risk research. The questionnaire used in this study has been previously used and validated internationally, and there have been no risks and adverse events reported. 
  • Why should I participate in this study?
    • The overall study findings will help inform planning for better services on early identification and intervention for the mental wellbeing needs of children in Singapore.The study team will share support options with you should the study surface some concerns through your screening and interviews. 
  • Where can I get more information?
    • Please contact the Principal Investigator, Assoc Prof John Wong Chee Meng or a representative of the study team at 9327 0785 (telephone) or year_study@nullnus.edu.sg (email) for all research-related matters and enquiries. For an independent opinion regarding the research and the rights of research participants, you may contact a staff member of the National University of Singapore Institutional Review Board (Attn: Dr Chan Tuck Wai, at 6516 1234 (telephone) or irb@nullnus.edu.sg (email) ).